Friday, August 15, 2014

New toy

Yes, I got a new toy. Didn't think I'd get a pair of binoculars, but there was an Amazon lightning deal and it was going for only $49.
The Celestron Skymaster 15x70 bino.
The beer glass is there for comparison- this sucker is taller than a bottle of beer, with high index multicoated optics. It's nowhere near the power of my Matkusov-Cassegrain telescope, but I was looking for an ultraportable, lower-power device for casual on-your-back stargazing, and the books recommend that all astronomers should have a pair of binoculars.
Someday though I hope to go beyond solar system photography, and catch a nice shot of a nebula, or the Andromeda galaxy.
Hopefully this will help me get my bearings better.
But eventually, if the wife allows, I'm going to need an equitorial mount and a faster scope.